16 July 2010

Ireland, Temple Cronan


We headed away from the coastline and into the interior where we had been told "there's not anything to see in the middle of Ireland." This from a 20-something young lady who described her country in terms of which pubs were the best ones had the best food and most fun.


We didn't know what to expect but thought it would be fun to find the Temple Cronan Church. With stone fences and gates for the animals, there were also steps, although very narrow and steep most times, for the people. I was going to head off to the left where the hill was to find the church, but somehow Craig noticed something and said we should head to the right where I could not see a single thing that looked like a church.


To the right was the church, I was expecting something a wee bit larger. I'm standing on the top step to climb over the stone monastic enclosure. The church was built in the 12th century.


The new door was added in the 15th-16th century and the old door (on the left) was blocked in.


Around the church are found carved stone heads of animals and humans.


Sure looks like a carving. There are two tent-like tombs here that are dated older than the church. The one closest to the church is known as the bed grave of St. Cronan, the founder of the monastery. The other one does not have a name.

3 comments:

M and W said...

That's such a cool church. The stone carvings are a bit creepy.

Tyler Davis said...

Very cool carvings, they aren't creepy. They are neat. I alsp wanted to let you know that although you said on my blog to mark it on the calender that you did something right, you've done many things right. Not just one thing. I can think of at three times you've done the right thing by me. First, you bought me the green shirt, then you bought my blue shirt, and don't forget the day I was born! Love ya Mom.

M and W said...

I want more pictures!!!! :) You should post more often!