08 September 2008

Wilderness First Aid Basics

Craig's been waiting 10 years to take this class. Me? It was a last minute decision, this class was small and there was room for me to attend. Whitney, as a member of Crew 9-1-1, always participated in these classes as one of its victims in the accident scenarios. She would come home and tell me about her participation, Mom! I got to be the sucking chest wound victim! she would say ecstatically. I could not relate, until this weekend.

My first victim was next to the propane tank when it blew. She had 3rd degree burns over 27% of her body, in shock but alert. Didn't think I should move her until the ambulance came. Later found out there was still gas escaping from the tank, should have moved her.

Lightning hit a tree and fell on Kimmi's leg. This is the moment she found out she is an amputee. I worked with the girl who became deaf.

We had all kinds of interesting accidents to deal with including Patrick who pulled over to help some hikers but hit a pole with his car. As a mom it was nice to hear the main instructor say he was sorry that Whitney wasn't here to help, that she's a professional at being a victim and he showed a couple of her video clips.

1 comment:

M and W said...

I'm so proud of you and dad!!!! Ah, I miss the days of screaming kids in fake pain and grossed out participants...