28 December 2009

Obedience



The key?

Self discipline and Obedience

This photo was intended to be a group shot of several elite police dogs, when all of a sudden the cat walked brazenly onto the scene. It was unstaged. It was unexpected. Some say it took a lot of courage for the cat to do this. Maybe, maybe not.

But let's look at it from the perspective of the German Shepherds. Inside each of them is the natural tendency to persue this cat - - maybe to simply investigate or maybe to injure. Most other German Shepherds probably would act on this instinct. But not these. No, these are highly tranined German Shepherds who have been taught to discipline the more base and common tendencies. They are going to be called upon to serve in the most important positions possible, and to be successful in their high calling, they must be able to restrain themselves when others would not.

And look at them! All 15 in the picture are letting this temptation walk by! Giving in makes them ineligible to be trusted with special assignments.

- author unknown






Another example of self discipline and obedience. The other day the parents of all my grandchildren decided to see a matinee. Leaving the oldest three in charge of their younger siblings with strict instructions they headed to the movies. I was invited to go to the movies with them but at the last moment I decided it would be better to stay with the grandchildren. When I arrived, the doors were locked. I knocked. I knocked again. I heard them saying, "It's Grandma!"

There was a loud rapping on the window and when I turned to look I saw a note they were holding to the glass. It read, "Sorry, Grandma, the Parents told us not to open the door for Anyone. Love, the kids"

A call to the Parents and I was granted entrance. Sure, I was annoyed standing outside in the cold, but having obedient grandchildren is a wonderful thing. They were trusted with an important job and they showed they had the self discipline to do the job right. The little ones were all for opening the door, the older ones who had been entrusted and given instructions did not give in to the "temptation" even though they knew me best.

My grandchildren have awesome parents.

1 comment:

M and W said...

I just about died laughing! That note just killed me!!! Sorry Grandma, love the kids!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, I'm still laughing.